Thursday, June 21, 2012

A day at the zoo - Lord help us all

I'm not sure if I've ever fully explained my love/hate relationship with the zoo or the outdoors for that matter, it's like the beach for me. I want to love the outdoors, wildlife and zoo HOWEVER it is a smelly, hot, wretched place for thousands of ill bred human beings to gather. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing animals in their "natural" surroundings and I am mildly scared that they will break through their cages, gates and kill me. I do love seeing gigantic hippos, elephants, monkeys, etc play around and hide all day under a log for $40 a head.

Hubby. Cupcake and I decided to venture out to the zoo for a day of family fun. Well, so did everyone else in the tri-state area. We had a great time and Cupcake loved seeing animals in person that we've read about in story books. It was great and I know my limitations; don't go into a Reptile House (they feed them rats), stay away from animals who may spit, piss or poop on you AND #1 rule TRY NOT TO USE THE BATHROOM. You are better off suffering from dehydration and kidney failure than using a bathroom. Thank goodness Cupcake is in diapers. We may never visit a zoo once she is potty trained. I HATE bathrooms at the zoo. I swear that the animals use them when the general population goes home for the night. I take that back and shouldn't blame the animals, they probably have better bathroom habits than people at the zoo.

We had a lovely day in the sweltering heat (I hate heat and melt like a vampire from Bon Temps) and saw so many cute animals. I think my favorite animals were the orangutans and the hippos. They were both so hot and bothered that they genuinely seemed annoyed we were all looking at them. Cupcake passed out after lunch which allowed us a lesuirely stroll through the zoo. All in all the day was great, we bumped into old neighbors and had a few laughs.

The weekend turned out to be great and I'm happy to know that although I hate many "things to do" in life I still go with the flow and give my little Cupcake all the experiences she has to see and do! Hopefully she won't be able to tell that I'm shuttering inside knowing that some sweaty beast just brushed up against me while waiting in line for the bathroom and I continue to dry heave!





No comments:

Post a Comment