Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Palm Sunday - 2011

Growing up Palm Sunday was ALWAYS a big event, it was just as important as Easter. It was a day that church would be packed with A&P Catholics (Ash Wednesday/Palm Sunday Catholics), we would have our 3rd best outfits on (1st for Christmas, 2nd Easter, 3rd Palm Sunday) and we would receive the coveted palms and compete to create the most creative palm cross. After church we would gorge ourselves on the best Italian cooking ever to be had and discuss in full detail what we wouldn't eat on Good Friday and what we (meaning moms and grandmothers) would slave to prepare for the rising of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

So, now that I'm an adult I have to honor this tradition and host Palm Sunday dinner. I'm not sure that I have discussed my PS (Palm Sunday) feelings with my in-laws but I feel horrible if I don't break Italian bread with family on this day. This year we invited the entire Smith clan for PS dinner. I stuck to the tradition meal; pasta, pasta, cheese, balls of meat and more pasta. It was glorious and we even had an Easter egg hunt to kick off the weekend!!! The kids had fun, Cupcake loves playing with her cousins! I'm not sure that it means the same to all of us that it did 30 years ago but it is nice to have family together!

Oh, as a special treat I offered the kids a "create your own ice cream bar" and told them they could eat in the family room while watching a movie however they had to stay on the sheet or for the love of god it would all end. They ate in silence!






No comments:

Post a Comment