Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The famous "run with the horses" or whatever it's called

As any good, half assed tourist, I spend the night prior to our departure goggling "what to do" at our desired vacation location AND emailing everyone I know asking them what it is we HAVE to do. I don't mean to be like this and I try to research and "look into" local attractions, must have purchases, top rated equipment, you get the idea. I have many skilled and qualified friends who scour the ends of the Internet for anything and everything. I trust them and rely on them so I don't have to do it, maybe I am half assed.

Anyway, I have a college friend turned real world friend "Johnstown" (I already told you that she gave me the house recommendation) who told me what to do and not do. I over heard someone telling me I must rent a Jeep, drive on the beach and see the wild horses. Johnstown was also in OBX with her family for the week so I called and asked her if this is something I have to do. Johnstown is a lot like me, dry sense of humor and very honest. Her reply was simple, "No, it's dumb. Well I guess if you have to do something once in your life and the weather is crappy this week than yeah, go for it". So, I signed us up for a Jeep tour and told Cupcake we were going to see real life Clyde's (her stuffed horse). We showed up and Hubby immediately said, "there is no way in hell I am driving a Jeep onto the beach with the top down and a 2 year old in the back". Buzz kill. I was heart broken. Where is our sense of adventure, living on the edge, living like the locals. After a 15 minute debate and me throwing a mild tantrum we jumped into the Jeep with the top and windows up. He may have won the fight but I will win the war!

After a 30 minute drive we finally entered the beach and for the love of all that is holy I am not quite sure why anyone would drive on the beach with high winds on a chilly day. Immediately Hubby is gloating saying "see, aren't you glad I insisted on keeping the top up". I almost felt like Shirley Maclaine driving on the beach with Jack Nicholson from Terms of Endearment. I am never wrong nor will admit defeat, I continued my tantrum through shivering teeth. The drive was amazing, a bit nerve wracking with the waves near my feet (I have a 2 year old with me people, safety first) and random beach goers sunbathing in the middle of the road, well beach. We ventured through some local homes (keep in mind you can only reach this area via Jeeps on the beach, no other roads. I thought I heard banjo's playing in the background. Johnstown did warn me that we would be guaranteed to see 3 horses however she swore that it would be the same horse transported to 3 different locations and I think she was right). Well, kidding but after a few minutes I did think I saw that horse several times.

The experience was amazing, the drive was beyond cool, views breath taking but I never have to do that again. Johnstown was right. I'm happy I did it however I can cross that off my bucket list. It was a wonderful experience.

Side note: we did see a horse grazing in someones front yard, IMAGINE THAT! I would be the poor soul putting out the garbage first thing in the AM to lift my head and see a wild horse in my front yard, I would have my own droppings to clean up. Wait, who am I kidding, I never take out the garbage, why start on vacation. Good times folks, what's up next!









No comments:

Post a Comment